I went to the Pride Parade yesterday. 
I don’t think anybody’s life was changed by me being there except mine! 

I saw a group on Facebook organizing “Mom Hugs” at the pride parade in riverside. I knew I wanted to participate. 

It was amazing to just love on people.  I repeatedly said "You are loved" "You are beautiful" I tried to Many whispered back "thanks for being here" "Thanks for your support" There were a few tears.  Several came back for more hugs every time they passed. We even offered knuckle bumps and high fives for the non-huggers to respect their space.  I wish I could explain more eloquently the emotions; However, mostly I was just overcome by the beautiful sea of humans living their lives the best they know how. 

While most people generally think what I and others did was awesome. I can’t help but think of the few who I know will think I shouldn’t have been there. It’s okay. A long time ago I was that person. I am ever so grateful for people who have taught me how to love bigger deeper wider more recklessly without care or thought of should I. It's definitely been a long beautiful process.  

What I was astounded by was what I didn’t know. There were thousands! And I mean thousands of people in support of pride. One little group of protesters. With their Christian sign and megaphone. As we were walking towards them, I heard a group walking behind me say “I guess we are about to get gay bashed.” My heart broke. 

In my little bubble life I have known very few gay people. In the past, I remember there were rumors of someone’s son and how we ought to pray for them. 

Acro offered so many more opportunities to meet and actually personally know gay people. This time I was the one in the closet. One friend when I finally came out actually said “I would have never known you were a Christian...” I thought how sad... but that why... because I’m loving accepting non judgmental haven’t beat him over the head with why he’s going to hell. 

The gospel is this: We are more sinful and flawed in ourselves than we ever dared believe, yet at the very same time we are more loved and accepted in Jesus Christ than we ever dared hope.
Timothy Keller

I feel we have far more in common than we don’t. 

I would never want one of my children or grandchildren to feel they were loved any less because of who they loved. I may not completely understand. I may have questions. I may be worried for their future. However I don’t find that any different than my mom questioning my relationship with then boyfriend now husband. 

Stretching produces flexibility. I stretched my l

I don’t think anybody’s life was changed by me being there except mine! 

When I examine “what do I have to give?” my automatic next thought is love and compassion. I can also share some wisdom learned from my experience; not that my life is perfect but that from imperfect and broken some pretty amazing things can still happen. 


WRITTEN OCTOBER 7, 2018. My first PRIDE.  Found in drafts in 2024 and didn't want to edit it too much, so if there are incomplete thoughts...well...they were intentionally left that way...

0 comments: