I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign
and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United
States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me
God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).
As I heard over 30 young men and women swear out this oath of service (or something VERY close to it) I had to choke back tears. I have
never truly thought about the sacrifice of service of these young men until one of my very own "loved ones" offered to serve and protect.
He has a dream. He is persuing a goal. He is gaining a future. I am so proud. As we family and friends gathered to see this young man swear his oath and see him off to the airport we laughed and chatted about mostly
nothing; just soaking up the last few precious minutes with this amazing young man. What was the hardest thing for me to take was the
number of young men and women that had no one to see them off. Of everyone there Clay was one of about 5 that had family there. I know
some came from out of town, and I am sure there are a million excuses for why people weren't there. But I was moved to think: very often
this happens in my town and I have no idea. There are men and women swearing their lives to serve and no one there to support them,
encourage them and see them off. I know a few ways this will effect me but I do not know the depths of what God is doing.
As I skim the papers I usually skip over the "war" stuff. Not anymore. I want to pay attention to these people that are sacrificing so
much.
Dear friends, our family is collecting letters of encouragement to send to Clay during bootcamp and training. Why stop at Clay, start
writing to anyone. Just say thank you and some encouraging words. Let us be an example to all the young men and women that are serving.
You can give them to me in person or message me and I will print it and send it in the mail.
Thank you for listening.

0 comments: